Re: Justification for hiring and realistic deadline - pls help.

Subject: Re: Justification for hiring and realistic deadline - pls help.
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 08:58:07 -0700

I've been in some similar positions, maybe I can add something useful to
the really good advice you've gotten from the techwhirlers who've
already responded to your question. See below.

SB wrote:
> The company for which I have been working for the past two years still
> thinks of itself in terms of Start-up despite the fact that they are growing
> tremendously (they may very well go for IPO this year). The company is doing
> well, very well. All the departments have been growing steadily but the
> Technical Writing Department (me!).

In the States, an IPO can be a big hairy deal, with good news and bad
news for employees. Your company will be under regulatory and investor
scrutiny, so they'll be trying to look like Wall Street's own offspring,
a lean, mean, money-making machine. They'll be trying to make their cash
flow look as favorable to investors as possible. You can bet that
they'll have considered cutting costs in every possible way, and this
may be the horns of the dilemma you're hung on, wrt your workload. The
good news is that if you're an employee when they go public, whoo-hoo!
You could be in a position to get stock and options that might amount to
early retirement for you.

> However, I can't meet the deadlines anymore and a lot of projects are behind
> now and others are on hold, which is now backfiring on them.

You're managing by triage, they're managing by damage control, and the
marketing team is probably basking in the publicity of the IPO, making
hay by selling products that are still on the drawing board to customers
whose interest is heightened by the company's imminent public offering.
IOW, your company's public face is probably looking good (Hollywood
front), and whatever is falling apart internally is of little
consequnece--they'll fix it in the 'next release.'

> For a while, I was contemplating leaving this position but I want to believe
> (or rather hope) that they are showing signs that they might start doing
> something about it now that the pressure also comes from additional sources.

Schedule the discussion you need to have. Prepare a summary of your
projects and progress. Show the trajectory--at the rate your work is
piling up, one writer (you) will be fully booked 'til Aitch Eee Hockey
Sticks freezes over, unless they let you bring in a couple of
contractors on a temp basis. Say it in a conclusive way. Phrases like
"I've done the math" help drive this point home to real managers.

> I will be meeting with the top management visiting from the US in a week or
> so and I would like to find out what I should say to convince the Manager
> that at least one if not more technical writers are required. I can say "I
> am overwhelmed" and hand him a list of the things I am doing but what will
> it really mean to that manager? How do I convince him that this is really
> vital now and get him to act upon it?

I had a manager once who couldn't grasp the fact that I was overworked
until I submitted receipts and asked for reimbursement for the costs of
a room at a local motel, where I was going at 4AM every night for a few
hours of shut-eye. What manager would fail to respond appropriately to
that? Well, mine for one. Mine blamed me for not working hard enough and
letting the work pile up 'til the last minute! What a butthead. I hope
yours is making personal sacrifices and understands the investment
you're making in the company's success.

As always, take a little time to buff up your resume and talk to a few
recruiters, in case your overture to management falls on deaf ears.

> If they hire more technical writers, does this mean that I might possibly
> become a "documentation manager"? If yes, what would this mean?

Oh, you know. A private office with a door you can close. Meetings with
other managers. And you'll have to fire writers who fail to meet deadlines.

> Can someone help me have a good idea of how to estimate projects?

Two finished pages of new material per day, average, over the life of
any project. This is the controversial industry standard productivity
for a tech writer. Now estimate how many pages you'll need.

> I mean, I
> am trying my best to do everything they want me to but it is just ridiculous
> and I would like to know what should be considered realistic

You're looking at it. Triage (look it up) is the allocation of attention
and resources to the things that need it most and have a chance of
surviving. You need to set priorities. Get with your manager, show your
project(s)'s trajectory, and ask for direction about which are the
priorities. You'll have to acknowledge that you can't meet all the
deadlines, and manage the perception that it is because you're not doing
a good job. Stay with the manager (position yourself directly in front,
lots of eye contact), and don't let their tendency toward CYA shift the
focus from your A to their A.

> I am sorry for asking these questions but I am exhausted and at a turning
> point, wondering whether I should stay somewhere where I have already proven
> myself and could possibly have an opportunity for advancement provided I
> communicate the right requirements with the right justifications or do I
> just... move onto something else?

Sylvia, I don't want to shock you but you're describing the tech writer
crucible. It is a miserable way to work, but a pretty good school.
Observe and learn from the management practices that lead that failure.
Firm up your thoughts on how it should best be done. Take that knowledge
and get it onto the table now, and on your next project, your next job,
your next graduate degree, ...

Good luck getting those contractors, and let us know what happens.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList