Justification for hiring and realistic deadline - pls help.

Subject: Justification for hiring and realistic deadline - pls help.
From: "SB " <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 23:41:07 +0300

The company for which I have been working for the past two years still
thinks of itself in terms of Start-up despite the fact that they are growing
tremendously (they may very well go for IPO this year). The company is doing
well, very well. All the departments have been growing steadily but the
Technical Writing Department (me!).

So yes, I am the only technical writer and ... I don't have a life
anymore, no evenings, no weekends, and no nights anymore either. I have been
complaining that I was overloaded but I am not sure that they really
internalized this despite the fact that they see me working like crazy. I
guess that as long as I was meeting the deadlines (more or less), they
figured that they didn't have to do something about this and they didn't.
However, I can't meet the deadlines anymore and a lot of projects are behind
now and others are on hold, which is now backfiring on them.

For a while, I was contemplating leaving this position but I want to believe
(or rather hope) that they are showing signs that they might start doing
something about it now that the pressure also comes from additional sources.

I will be meeting with the top management visiting from the US in a week or
so and I would like to find out what I should say to convince the Manager
that at least one if not more technical writers are required. I can say "I
am overwhelmed" and hand him a list of the things I am doing but what will
it really mean to that manager? How do I convince him that this is really
vital now and get him to act upon it?

How do I get then to become more aware and request that they value the
documentation more than just "something that must be delivered with the
product" because it is a requirement?

If they hire more technical writers, does this mean that I might possibly
become a "documentation manager"? If yes, what would this mean?

Can someone help me have a good idea of how to estimate projects? I mean, I
am trying my best to do everything they want me to but it is just ridiculous
and I would like to know what should be considered realistic (I have been
working for 12 years as a technical writer and this is the first time I come
across such a ridiculous situation. From the desire to prove myself, I have
moved straight onto slavery).

How can I bring solid proof with possible literature support that what they
are requesting is unrealistic? Is there some literature estimating technical
writing delivery time based on complexity and length? What do you do when
there is an unrealistic deadline that you can't meet? Just exclude part of
the features?

I am sorry for asking these questions but I am exhausted and at a turning
point, wondering whether I should stay somewhere where I have already proven
myself and could possibly have an opportunity for advancement provided I
communicate the right requirements with the right justifications or do I
just... move onto something else?

Thank you for your help and feedback,

Sylvia

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList