Re: Question about phraseology in Docs for Cellular

Subject: Re: Question about phraseology in Docs for Cellular
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Jonathan West <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:08:27 -0700

> Jan Cohen mentioned using "handoff" rather than "handover". It may be that
> this term is used on the old analog systems, but I would avoid using it for
> GSM/3G digital cellular, as the term "handover" is specified in the GSM
> specifications, and users familiar with the system will know precisely what
> you mean when you use that word.

Here's an interesting twist. The following academic paper from 2006
suggests to me that there are boundary conditions for the
handover/handoff terminology. It claims that "Vertical handoï is a
switching process between heterogeneous wireless networks in a hybrid
3G/WLAN network."

*http://tinyurl.com/37s787*

Not to say that handover (the UK's synonym for handoff) would be wrong
in that context, just that handover as the standard 3G term, might not
be preferred in all 3G contexts.

Have fun,

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com