Re: Technical Writer tests (again)

Subject: Re: Technical Writer tests (again)
From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:31:24 -0400

I think that the test is poorly designed. The combination of multiple-choice,
true-false, and fill-in-the-blank questions, where all score the same value
and in the same manner, is statistically invalid. Some questions contain the
answer within the form of the question, so that they only test "test-taking"
ability and not other knowledge. The answer to one of the questions (3.13)
depends on whose stylesheet is in use.

Before using such a test, I would like to see a validation study. The vendor
did not suggest that such a thing exists. On the other hand, if one is not
competent to interview technical writers, this test just might prevent one
from hiring a nincompoop.

My personal method of skill inventory consists of a "pop quiz." When talking
to junior-high students about their planned careers, I need to know their
level of mathematical ability. I ask, out of the blue, "What's six times nine?"

Here is the scoring:
A - "Fifty-four!"
B - "Uh, let me see, that's fifty-four."
C - "Oh jeez. Ummmm.... Fifty-four?"
F - "Oh, I'm no good at math. Uhhhh, ohhhh, jeez... Forty-seven?"

--Peter Neilson

Dan Goldstein observed:

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList