RE: does quality matter? should it?

Subject: RE: does quality matter? should it?
From: Gause_Brian -at- emc -dot- com
To: <fiona -dot- krycek -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:54:54 -0400

Documentation is most certainly not a frill. My reaction to bosses with
this attitude varies, based on the situation, but it's never good, and
it doesn't last long.

Has your boss defined the differences between "low-quality" and
"high-quality" documentation? If not, I'd go get this definition settled
right now.

Then, what's important to you? Can you work 40 hours/week and go home?
Can you deliver docs as requested by your MGMT and go home, even if the
docs aren't up to your standards? Can you work at a company that
half-asses its business?

Next, does their attitude towards documentation mean you can work 25
hours/week instead of 40? Does it mean you can stop attending meetings?
Can you call in sick more frequently and make up the hours later? Can
you play Quake3 at your desk? Does their attitude have ANY positive
effects on your working environment or is it all doom and gloom?

I've stopped working for companies that don't value documentation (and,
consequently, my work). Life is too short. Your situation sounds like a
nightmare and, if I were in your shoes, I'd look for a new job.

Good luck!

Brian Gause

So, my question is, do other people think that documentation is only a
frill? If you were (or are) working at a company that doesn't take
documentation very seriously, should this/does this bother you? If it
doesn't bother you, would you be bothered by the contradictory messages
coming out of senior management (contradictory because senior management
says documentation is important, but does not support this through
hiring or
planning)? Can you suggest any strategies for managing this situation?

thanks in advance,
Fiona

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
or

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as gause_brian -at- emc -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/gause_brian%40emc.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList