RE: Word 2007 and automatic numbering

Subject: RE: Word 2007 and automatic numbering
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:04:55 +0100

> I have been playing around with Word 2007 for a few days and I worked my
> way through a few weigthy manuals, did some research online, checked the
> various archives but I still haven't found an answer to my one burning
> question about the new Word: has automatic numbering been fixed?

They did make some changes to the lists - I've not had much of a chance to
play yet so I don't have all the details. You might want to repost your
question onto the newsgroup microsoft.public.word.numbering, where the
experts on this hang out.

> Based a post about list levels on Microsoft's Word Blog
> <http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2007/03/08/the-many
> -levels-of-lists.aspx> I have a suspicion that it hasn't: "When you
> edit a multilevel list, Word creates a copy of the original list and
> makes the changes to that copy." That sounds similar to what causes all
> the trouble with numbering in previous versions of Word. But
> fortunately, the option to create more robust outline numbering
> <http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/outlinenumbering.html>
> appears to be still possible in Word 2007 by defining your own list
> styles. Question is, how robust are they?

Shauna's system is pretty robust, especially if you consistently follow
through on all the points in the system. In my view, if you want to have
numbered headings, you should always define the numbering in the style, and
the same with numbered and bulleted lists if you are doing anything more
than putting a couple of bullet points into a memo.

Regards
Jonathan West

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList