Re:

Subject: Re:
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:01:57 -0700 (PDT)

It seems that these days, the first two years of
college are remedial high school education, and then
post-graduate education is required for what a college
degree once certified.

I knew a neighbor who had been a career teacher for
forty years, and his diagnosis was that the
educational system is afraid to remove behavior
problems and put slower kids in slow classes, so
everyone else has to wait, and in the mean time their
education evaporates.

My wife is a teacher, and from what I can tell, these
issues are so politicized that there's no solution in
sight. Homeschooling becomes more popular every year,
and that is what she is now recommending to concerned
parents.

--- Joanne Wittenbrook <jwittenbrook -at- ameritech -dot- net>
wrote:
> There was a time when a career teacher could
> support a family. It hasn't been that way for a long
> time. There was also a time when a high school
> education was considered enough to get a decent job.
> I got out of high school with far better reading and
> writing skills than many of the young MBAs I work
> with have.

User Interface design blog
http://user-advocacy.blogspot.com/
Code::Design::UI::Consulting