Re: Finding errors in manuals

Subject: Re: Finding errors in manuals
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- datascope -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 17:22:57 -0400

Michelle Vina-Baltsas wrote:
> I just found an error in one of the manuals I work on and I feel sick.
> Fortunately, the error does not pose the user any danger but it looks bad.
> What do you all do when this happens? I'm having a bad case of the "I'm
> not perfect" blues.
>
> Michelle

Overall, if you're working to solve the issues that are impeding
accuracy, there is no need to "feel sick" about an error. Errors are
going to happen, and feeling sick over every single one will just send
you to the doctor or to the undertaker that much sooner.

It's a matter of degrees, though: an error or two - whether in content,
grammar, or spelling - is not worth getting worked up about. Simply
correct them and move on.

Multiple instances of grammatical or spelling errors, however, signal
that it's time to review the proofreading/editing stages of your
process. In this case, you should brush up on proofreading skills,
ensure that you are scheduling enough proofreading time, or find a
reliable proofreader/editor.

If there are multiple instances of content errors, your department
should initiate a review of the documentation process to ensure that
team members are using reliable sources, understanding the material
effectively, and not rushing through the documentation. It is also
worthwhile to examine how reviews are handled and how reliable your
reviewers are.

--
JWH

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList