Re: Most embarasssing error (was Finding errors in manuals)

Subject: Re: Most embarasssing error (was Finding errors in manuals)
From: Laura Lemay <lemay-lists1 -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:29:00 -0700

Embarrassing errors? I have a doozy.

I used to write third-party, buy-in-a-bookstore computer books. In
1996 I signed up to write a book about Java -- right as Java was
first released. As I wrote the book it became apparent that Java was
going to be huge, and that my book was going to be one of the very
first on the market about it. Every week, it seemed, the numbers for
the first printing got larger and larger, my publisher put more and
more resources were put on the project to help me finish it on time.
No pressure!

At the last minute just before we went to press, as I was doing the
last bit of review and checking and re-checking of the ms, I
accidentally deleted a brace in a code sample. On page 14. In the
very first example, the Hello World, the simplest example you use to
see if you're doing everything right so far. Without the brace, the
example wouldn't compile. arrrggghhhh.

The first printing was 150,000 copies. I had four copyeditors
working on that book with me but none of them caught the error,
because it was in code. I didn't realize it was there until the book
was shipping and I started to get the email.

Lots of email. Lots and lots of email. My email address was in the
book. "Please send me email if you have comments." We fixed the
error in the second printing, but TO THIS DAY I still get email.
"Do you know that there's an error in the Hello World on page 14 of
your Java book?"

Yes. Oh, yes, I know. On my gravestone, they will write "Laura
Lemay: Screwed Up Page 14."

Laura
hello, world

--
Laura Lemay Killer of Trees lemay % lne.com lemay % gmail.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList