The Edge of Greatness? (was "Errors")

Subject: The Edge of Greatness? (was "Errors")
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:34:52 -0400

Is an error an error if nobody else notices or cares?

I just saw a great billboard. I'm sure it's an effective ad campaign. I'm very actively anti-violence and anti-war but it raised a patriotic thrill in my heart.

Aircraft carrier with three escorts (looks like two minesweepers and a destroyer bringing up the rear). Everybody steaming ahead through grey-blue water with grey-blue clouds, the only spot of color the flags on the carrier. Great big letters at the top of the picture:

LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT
OF ALL WHO THREATEN IT.

Dang, I can't just enjoy stuff like this any more. With all the resources of the US Navy couldn't they have had an editor look at this before they slapped it up?

It's probably just me. Nobody else cares that it isn't

LIFE. LIBERTY.

AND THE PURSUIT
OF ALL WHO THREATEN THEM.

...and the correction would probably not make the ad any more or less effective.

Is it just tech writers and English teachers who care about this stuff, at least until it's beaten out of us? It just bothers me when something is _that_ close to being truly exceptional and misses because of something so basic.

Aw, go ahead and say it's just me.

I got a nice 8.5x11 glossy print of the ad from my local recruiter. I'm posting it in my office (with the correction) to remind me to go ahead and sweat the small stuff when I can, because sometimes it _does_ make that difference. And my father was a Lt. J-G and I like the picture.

Dori Green

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList