RE: The Edge of Greatness? (was "Errors")

Subject: RE: The Edge of Greatness? (was "Errors")
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Keith Hansen'" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:37:34 -0700

The "more perfect" part is a point of philosophical debate too. The choice
of words in the Constitution is very deliberate. In the centuries that
settlers were here, they did form a sort of union. England wanted to
control early America and the writers of the Constitution wanted to create
something stronger than just a document to stand as a testament that this
country is not the property of any other country and that the reasons for
this country are greater than anything that someone can imagine while
writing a document.

The Constitution is a "living" document, it is never finished or final.
When we say something is "perfect," then we are saying something has reached
an end to its development. This country and the Constitution that defines
it has not reached the end of development. If we say "better" in place of
"more perfect," then we imply flaws that need improvement, so "perfect" is a
better concept, but the implication of finality is too limiting. So, we
have a "more perfect" union. Not one word or concept in the Constitution is
an accident or mistake. There are, however, plenty of philosophical debates
about the Constitution and its choices of words.

Lauren