Re: 'Know thy audience'; was: RE: What is 'well Written'?

Subject: Re: 'Know thy audience'; was: RE: What is 'well Written'?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:36:54 -0700

In the 30+ years I've been working, both as an engineer and a
technical writer/manager, I have never encountered a company
that uses the DOL SOC in any way to classify professional
employees. The SOC is merely a set of a statistical categories
used by the DOL to track so-called "standardized" jobs, and
its lack of influence on any non-federal job above the level
of burger-flipper or tire jockey is one of the primay reasons
why the DOL never seems to be able to provide a reliable
prediction of future trends in high-level employment outside
of the govt itself.

If you are working in a private-sector technology or life
sciences company in the US (and probably Canada and
Western Europe as well), the odds are that any outside
data that went into setting your job classification and comps
came from here:

www.radford.com

Gene Kim-Eng

"Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca> wrote...

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList