RE: Professionalism and pay

Subject: RE: Professionalism and pay
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:58:33 -0400

"you make a legal declaration that you have
>read and followed the instructions. If it turns out you didn't, you go to
>jail.
>
>Anyone else wanna give me some money?"

No thanks...I will pass on that bet! I actually have a friend who is a
mechanic for Northwest Airlines...he can name line and verse of where
anything is in the main manual he uses....I am always incredibly impressed!

Although, I do understand some of what Stan's point is. Our work is
important and especially for airline mechanics etc. However, I used to work
as a CNA in a nursing home and if I made a mistake there...it was
immediately apparent and often times dangerous. I do not feel that sort of
threat in my job as a technical writer, but I do write documentation for an
NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) detection software product, and other
products used by First Responders...if they are in a bad situation they need
to depend on the accuracy of my documentation. However when I wrote for a
web hosting company, if I made a mistake in a manual...it just ticked
someone off and they had to figure out how to do it themselves.

Once again...just shows the diversity of our profession.

Melissa

From: "Simon North"
To: "TECHWR-L"
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:43:46 +0200