Re: Private note - Re: Access to software versions: a rant

Subject: Re: Private note - Re: Access to software versions: a rant
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: neilson -at- windstream -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 14:42:05 +0800

Hi Peter -

There's a general class of bad managers for whom revealing a problem ==
a problem and concealing a problem == no problem, and it's logical that
some of these managers would be QA managers. It seems to me, though,
that they must have a distorted idea of what their job is about.

If you think of the development process as taking place behind a wall,
you want to catch as many bugs as possible inside the wall, even though
you know there'll be a few that get through despite your best efforts.
It sounds like this head of QA thinks the wall is not at the point where
the product is released outside the company to customers, but at the
point where it gets out of QA!

Maybe this company has wrongheaded incentives that actually punish some
staff when a bug is revealed "too late".

I reckon I could do a pretty good 3-minute spiel to management covering
types of bugs, types of testing, the increasing cost of fixing bugs at
various stages during design and development and after release, and so
on. As I said before, I'd just be surprised to have to deliver it to a
boss of QA. It would certainly set off some alarm bells for me.

Cheers

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList