RE: This too is technical communication

Subject: RE: This too is technical communication
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Stuart Burnfield'" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:02:21 -0700

I like Mike's description. Think about this way. If you interview your
SMEs from your own understanding of the technology, which is higher than
that of an average user, then you run the risk of having only enough
information to satisfy the needs of an above average user. If you interview
the SMEs as though you are a clueless idiot, then you have plenty of
information (fodder) to sort through and build an audience appropriate
document.

We are not writing when we interview SMEs and gather information. Writing
comes after we have all of our information, so there is no risk of writing
too much by taking the position of a "clueless idiot." Whoever says, "I
can't write this document because I have too much information"? Problems
with writing come from not having enough information. The one who will have
enough information is the one that doesn't take any knowledge of the system
for granted. So that would be a "clueless idiot."

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList