Re: This too is technical communication

Subject: Re: This too is technical communication
From: "Raj Machhan" <raj -dot- machhan -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:01:04 +0530

I am digressing a bit from what Mike has said. This is about good technical
writers and 'professional idiots'.
In my opoinion the demand for quality technical writers is in for a quantum
jump in the coming years. I will tell yuou how:
There are generally two types of corporates: First, we have the "smart'
companies. These are the companies that realize the importance of quality
documentation and take pains to ensure that the customer gets nothing but
the best.
In the second category we have what I term as the 'dumb' corporates. These
companies generally consider documentation as an unnecessary add-on and do
not pay much attention to quality of their manuals, fact sheets etc. (Now
you know how the "idiot writers'' get to make a living).
The smart companies realize that product quality alone is not enough to push
sales in highly competitive markets. This because quality and pricing are
fast losing ground as the main differentiatiors between products. Corporates
now have ready access to latest technologies, which means that the products
in a particular price range do not differ much in terms of quality
and features. Now this is where the quality of user guides, help
files, installation guides etc assume importance, especially in software. I
think of software documentation as the 'face' of the product. What does one
do before/after buying an application CD-ROM? Yes, one generally flip
through the user manual or other documents explaining the product. A shoddy
document reflects poorly on the overall appeal of a product. On the other
hand, top-quality documentation sends out a strong message about a company's
concern to deliver the best to its customers. Smart companies continue to
raise their standards of documentation - to a point where the
documents alone are enough to sell a product.