Re: Problem with RoboHelp and Visio

Subject: Re: Problem with RoboHelp and Visio
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Ashley Rice - MC" <arice -at- mercurycompanies -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:26:02 -0400

Hi Ashley:

You want to provide your users with actual Visio files? I've had no problems
with providing users with Excel files, but we usually provide Visio org
charts and things in PDF format.

We deliver documents of all kinds via links embedded in an HTML page (with
WebHelp as our output), rather than trying to add the source document into
the TOC. I am not even sure that is possible. It is possible to build a
topic page and insert a link to the document, spreadsheet, or whatever,
making sure to set the Target=_blank (new window).

I will suggest, though, that you also look at MadCap Flare (
http://www.madcapsoftware.com), as I believe that it will handle source
files, and have found it to be more stable and easier to use than RoboHelp.
And I say that after using RoboHelp for over 14 years. The support can't be
beat either. Flare is available as a 30 day trial, with extensions available
under some circumtances.

Good luck!
-- PT

On 6/6/07, Ashley Rice - MC <arice -at- mercurycompanies -dot- com> wrote:

> My company is searching for the best help authoring application to meet
> our IT Team's needs. We are a Visio-driven enterprise and have tried
> trial versions of both RoboHelp and Doc-To-Help. When working with
> RoboHelp, we have had little success in getting Visio documents and
> Excel Spreadsheets with IP lists in the program. Has anyone worked with
> Visio and Excel in RoboHelp and is there a good workaround or trick to
> getting these documents in there with ease? I'm relatively new to
> RoboHelp and would like to know what I'm missing. Thanks!
>

> Ashley Rice
>
> Technical Writer
>
> Application Support
>

> Email: arice -at- mercurycompanies -dot- com <mailto:arice -at- mercurycompanies -dot- com>

> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList