RE: This too is technical communication

Subject: RE: This too is technical communication
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Rush, Jay" <jrush -at- c-cor -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 08:08:12 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm very surprised that a FunctSpec was part of the
> project if Agile with scrums. With our one dev team
> that uses Agile/scrum, we have no specs, but we've at
> least been incorporated in the scrums, and per

Our functional spec task comes at the end of the sprint. The last two
task in each story is to create a functional spec of the feature and
review the documentation from the previous story.

> point. So, we're becoming respected members of the team, and it's

In the beginning, I attended every scrum for each of the
projects...we had five projects going on at the same time...some days
I never took my phone headset off. What helped ease the pain was that
we were allowed to call into the 15 minute scrum as opposed to face
to face...part of this was because some of the projects had
developers from three locations.

> being reflected, slowly but surely, in the time certain
> team members devote to doc review, but reviews are still
> sketchy. Not there yet.
>
> You are fortunate, though, to be in a situation where doc review is
> a req.

When I got assigned as the lead writer to this project, as some on
this list can attest to, I can be rather insistant (some say pain in
the ass) until I get what I know I need, and most times it's a
fault...but this time, it was important to make sure docs was fully
represented.

There were several instances where they attempted to put
documentation on the back burner, once with the explanation "Well, we
know that documentation is part of every sprint, so we're not going
to include it in the plan, but assume everyone knows." It took about
7 seconds for me to jump on that one :-)

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"They say everyone needs goals. Mine is to live forever.
So far, so good."

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList