Foundation books (Was: The Mythical Man-Month)

Subject: Foundation books (Was: The Mythical Man-Month)
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:31:05 +0800

Some books don't yield practical tips that you could apply immediately
to your work, but instead provide a foundation for how you approach work
for years to come.

I don't know if there's a name for this class of books; in the Subject
line I've called them 'foundation books'. They're not just good books,
great books, influential books. They provide the foundation or framework
for the specific knowledge you acquire and apply elsewhere. As Sarah
says, they make sense of experiences that you've had but never quite
been able to put together before.

The Mythical Man-Month is one such book for me. Others are Peopleware,
by Tom DeMarco and Timothy Lister, and The Design of Everyday Things, by
Don Norman.

A borderline case is Alan Cooper's book About Face. It does have a lot
of practical advice, but it also gave me a theoretical basis to explain
problems I'd experienced in software development projects.

Can anyone else name some foundation books?

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList