Re: layout duties/ separate functions?

Subject: Re: layout duties/ separate functions?
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Troy Klukewich" <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:25:56 -0500

In many of my long term positions, I've set up templates for the documents.
That takes care of a large part of the layout, if that's the kind of thing
you're asking about. The types of things it doesn't take care of are
illustrations or deciding what types of sections will be in a document (i.e.,
structure). A large part of what I do as a technical writer includes
structuring and illustrating.

HTH,

Kathleen

On 6/19/07, Troy Klukewich <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net> wrote:

> Hi Eric:
>
> I hope I'm understanding your question. Are you talking about separating
> out presentation from content like SGML or XML-based systems or the early
> UNIX-based typesetting systems?
>
> I worked for a number of years with writers who had nothing to do with
> layout or DTP-type formatting. All layout and DTP functions were handled
> automatically with XSLT and XSL:FO. One person was primarily responsible for
> designing layout and encoding formats.
>
> The writers focused only on content development and the usual product
> research.
>
> Most writers had layout backgrounds from legacy DTP systems, so the
> transition to automated presentations was difficult for some.
>
> If I'm on track, let me know and I can elaborate.
>
> Troy Klukewich
> Information Architect
> Oracle

Kathleen MacDowell