Re: The Mythical Man-Month

Subject: Re: The Mythical Man-Month
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: neilson -at- windstream -dot- net
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:18:16 -0700

neilson -at- windstream -dot- net wrote:
>> neilson wrote:
>>
>>> The key is to focus on the user view and not on the technology. This
>>> paradigm even applies for products that are for very technical users,
>>> in my opinion.

Wow, that is pretty darned condensed wisdom you're offering, Peter. Thanks.

Interpreting this in light of MMM, implementation is where the rubber
meets the sky--requirements and design usually turn out to be
incomplete, and the details of this incompleteness don't become obvious
until the implementation. So I guess the analysts and developers tend
toward implemetation fixations because they're psyched for it. I'm not
sure how this realization helps to move their attention back to research
and planning, but it sounds like a step in the right direction, doesn't it?

I used to have a clipping of an old Tom Peters newspaper column where he
tossed off an insight that has borne me much fruit: software
development never rises above the methodology of prototyping.
Implementation is ultimately an exploration, a test of concept, a
prototype that will be melted down and recast as learning moves the
effort along. The columnist's point was something to do with the
dot-com business model, but it explained a lot to me as a queasy
passenger along for the ride in the careening vehicle of a software
development team.

> Sounds brilliant, unless you're making wine

That sour wine could be gourmet vinegar! All that's missing is the spin
selling (and a gullible grocer).

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList