Re: Common Catachresis - "Full time employment" (was RE: Tips for SecondInterview)

Subject: Re: Common Catachresis - "Full time employment" (was RE: Tips for SecondInterview)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:26:28 -0700

By the same token, it would be well for hiring managers not to assume that
someone saying "full time" really means "permanent" and not "40 hours per
week."

In the case Jim describes, if I told a candidate the interview was for a 3-4
month contract and the candidate responded by telling me he/she was
looking for "full time" work, my reply would be to assure the candidate
that the contract would be for 40 hour weeks and that in the event the
project didn't generate that many hours of work in a week I would have
alternative assignments and would not put my contractor into a "sorry,
we can only use you for 20 hours this week" rollercoaster ride. I wouldn't
assume that someone interviewing for a tech writer position didn't know
the correct meaning of "full time" and didn't mean exactly what he or she
said.

Gene Kim-Eng