RE: Wording too dense? OK?

Subject: RE: Wording too dense? OK?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L Administrator'" <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:37:59 -0400

The only thing I would change is in the following, adding the word "to":

d. Point the FILDIR directory to where you want the database files to
be created.

Everything else is just fine. Trust the developer. Anyone using that doc
*will* understand.

I don't have the time to give you an explanation of each item, but as a
technical editor, I would accept all but 4d as is.

> I need help with the following passage. My source has a bit of the
> mentality "the passage is fine because anyone who's reading
> the manual
> will know everything already, because I wrote it and *I* know
> everything
> already and so will anyone reading my text." My source does
> not welcome
> questions and clarifications that I believe are necessary. I
> need your
> perspectives.

I think that you need to learn more about the product and more about the
audience. That's the only thing I see lacking here.

It sounds as if you're in a bit over your head, frankly, and I wonder why
you are involved in the documentation of that product without a more solid
grounding in the product itself, the concepts related to it, and the needs
of the audience.

If the developer won't help you, do your own research.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList