RE: Nuts.

Subject: RE: Nuts.
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Dan Goldstein'" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:50:28 -0400

Dan Goldstein wrote:

>Not sure about your and Al's estimate of "most," but I'm sure *many*
companies feel that way. My question is, why would you work for one?<

My comment referred to the statement that "nobody ever got promoted for
having good documentation." I should have said "I believe in most companies
(because I can't quantify "most") the reason you don't get promoted for good
documentation is because most upper managers do not see documentation as a
profit center. You can get promoted if you do something tangible that they
understand-reducing overhead, reducing development time, etc., without
reducing quality. If you can improve something without costing the company
anything, then you get their attention. Just producing good documentation is
not enough.

Would I work for someone interested in making his/her company more efficient
and improving product quality? In a heartbeat.

Would I work for a company that really doesn't give a damn what you do with
the documents just as long as a chunk of paper accompanies each product.
Only long enough to find a better job.

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-658-3140
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList