Re: Good sample of "structured writing"

Subject: Re: Good sample of "structured writing"
From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 07:15:46 +1000

Dori Green wrote:
> I am not affiliated with the company who developed this.
> Just found their sample interesting and decided to share
> the URL. This is not presented as a political opinion.
>
> http://www.infomap.com/Independence.htm

This reminds me of a parody of technical writing
that was going around years before Info Mapping.

-- Janice

How Do I Love Thee?

1.1 Introduction

This section describes the various ways that I love thee.
It consists of three main subsections:

o Subsection 2.1 enumerates and describes the conditions
under which my soul interoperates with thee.

o Subsection 2.2 discusses three inputs and outputs (I/O)
that use central air processing units, positive
reinforcement facial muscles, or negative/positive
liquid-emitting ocular ports.

o Subsection 2.3 is a code fragment using the if/endif
option related to post-shutdown mode.

The following subsection assumes that you are familiar with
basic concepts relating to:
o Standard units of measure
o My soul
o Love

If you are not familiar with these concepts, consult your
system administrator, religion-specific clergy, or philosopher.

2.1 Enumeration of Ways I Love Thee

ow do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

I love thee:
1. To the depth my soul can reach
2. To the breadth my soul can reach
3. To the height my soul can reach

Note - The conditions described in Subsection 2.1 above
apply to my soul only when feeling out of sight For the
end of Being and ideal Grace.

2.2 Finer Granularity Enumeration of Ways I Love Thee

The following subsection assumes that you are familiar
with the following I/Os:
o The inhaled/exhaled product of my central air
processing units
o The interactive display invoked by my positive
reinforcement facial muscles
o The product of my negative/position liquid-emitting
ocular ports

If you are not familiar with these I/Os, consult your doctor
or nearest professor of biology.

I love thee with:
o The breath of all my life
o The smiles of all my life
o The tears of all my life

2.3 Shutdown Code Fragment

The program fragment in the following subsection assumes
that you are familiar with basic concepts relating to:
o The if/endif option
o The body's post-shutdown mode
o God

If you are not familiar with these concepts, enroll in a C++
programming course.

if (GOD_CHOOSE == TRUE)
I shall love thee better after death
}