Re: Lack of self-awareness in a writer...what to do

Subject: Re: Lack of self-awareness in a writer...what to do
From: "Mike Starr" <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:39:45 -0500

Everyone seems to be jumping on the "pitch him out" bandwagon but I wonder
if HR can establish a process whereby he's demoted from his senior level
status if he can't improve his performance. Maybe make it a two-step
process... improve your performance within 60 days or get demoted two
levels. Then if you still haven't improved after another 60 days, we'll have
to let you go. Of course, you've always got the option of seeking a more
suitable position elsewhere in the company.

As far as his working 40 hours when the rest of the team is working 45
hours, I say ignore the number of hours and concentrate on whether he's
achieving his assigned objectives. However, I'm also inclined to believe
that good management assigns objectives that can be accomplished by a
skilled employee in a 40-hour work week.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer