Re: Working later than the boss

Subject: Re: Working later than the boss
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:55:02 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janice Gelb" <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
> If employees have a sense that their manager is
> working when not in the office, that's one thing.
> However, while we don't have all the facts we need
> from the message to make informed judgments, there
> is something "inherently wrong" with a manager
> arriving after her employees and leaving before
> them if it affects employee morale. It might be true
> that the manager is accomplishing Herculean tasks
> outside the office but if the employees don't know
> that, and they're being asked to work what appear

So, what you are expecting is this...We have an employee who likes to come in at 7:30am and leave around 4ish because she makes dinner for her grandchild while her daughter, a single mother, works. Two others who like to come in at 9:30am and leave after 6pm because they have a 2 hour commute and traffic dies down after 6. Then you have me, who comes in at 9:00 and leaves around 8:00ish because I live 9 minutes from the office and during the week, have no outside life.

If my manager follows your recommendation, our manager would be in before 7:30 am and not leave until after 8 in the evening.

I'd say the employee who has a morale problem with the manager should work on not having the problem.

> However, while we don't have all the facts we need
> from the message to make informed judgments, there

It's not your job to make "informed judgements" on how you should work from the perspective of what your boss does. It is you job to do your job, which is different than the job your manager does. The only person who should care about your manager's work ethic is your manager's manager.

> manager appears to be setting her own hours to suit
> herself, resentment is a predictable outcome.

Only for those who are more interested in what others are doing than how well they're doing their own job. My response would be "Mind your own business and do your own job.".

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"They say everyone needs goals. Mine is to live forever.
So far, so good."

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList