Re: FWD: Working later than the boss - Part II

Subject: Re: FWD: Working later than the boss - Part II
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com, Mary Arrotti <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 20:05:24 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Writers Book Mall <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>

When I was a manager, it gave me special pleasure at
the end of a successful project to send out a
thank-you to the writers involved and the SMEs they
worked with, with copies to lots of relevant managers,
including mine.

I was the lead writer on a deliverable that started in development in January and was delivered June 29th. It was a very big release, new architecture, new operating system, new development methodology, very important to the company, and a real bear. It almost didn't get released...one more bug and it would have failed the required parameters.

Anyway, I nominated four of the developers and six of the qa people for an award that the company makes available to those who exibit certain attributes in the arera of accountability, responsibility, teamwork, etc. I based it on the fact that they never refused to work with the documentation people to understand a feature, review a document, or give us access to an environment where we could see the applicartion properly setup and installed.

All the nominations were accepted by management at the home office and I had a meeting on Tuesday where everyone on the team was invited without telling them what the meeting was for. I announced the nominations and handed out the certificates. The fact that the certificated was $50 had little effect. What was effective was that their coopperation was recognized. Their receipt of this award will also be announced at the quaertly corporate all-hands meeting attended by over 2,500 people.

Beats jelly beans or brownies every time.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"They say everyone needs goals. Mine is to live forever.
So far, so good."

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList