RE: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job

Subject: RE: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:51:29 -0700

>Lauren said:
>
>I had a contract that went on for several months longer than original
contracted and I >was clueless about how to handle it.

Are you saying that the client and your recruiter didn't address this for
three months?

>I stayed on for the pay and the medical benefits that I wound up needing.
Although, >I did mention to the recruiter that I should have a rate increase
because the three >month contract was heading into six months.

Why would you request a rate increase on a three month contract, or even
after six months?

>They told me that the manager would not pay more, although the recruiter
could >have adjusted its margin. After that, I decided to not stay on for
contracts that went >longer than planned. I have also resigned myself to
never accept an extension >without a careful examination of all terms and
not just rates.

Sounds like standard operating procedure to me. I've been in the same
situation where a recruiter recites - what sounds to me, at least - rules
and regulations that are being concocted as quickly as they can think them
up. "The client only considers pay increases after two years, and this is
null and void if you miss a day of work."

Right. Sure.

Contract extensions can be a tricky thing. A lot of people I know are just
thankful to have a job and, when a recruiter announces that a client would
like to extend their contract, they agree without hesitation. Later, after
the price of a gallon of gas skyrockets, they sit their and wonder how
they're going to make ends meet.

It wasn't until very recently that I learned just how much bargaining power
contractors have. It sounds to me that contractors can ask for almost
anything, just like permanent employees. Several contractors that I work
with tell me that they negotiated a "two week notice" clause into their
contracts in the event that the client decides to terminate their contract.
News to me.

[]

>Leaving when the contract term is over is acceptable, but if you give the
impression >that you are staying on, then you should probably be very
tactful about how you >leave.

This is an interesting choice of words. All of the contracts that I have
been involved with contained the clause that said I could walk, or the
client could let me go, without notice. Most recruiters that I have worked
for were mostly interested in maintaining their relationship with the client
to the point that their contractors became Star Trek expendable crew
members. On the other hand, I have seen contractors form good relationships
with managers/supervisors/directors that paid off when the client company
faced downsizing, etc.

- Jim

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList