RE: Teaching others how to fish

Subject: RE: Teaching others how to fish
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Daniel Ng'" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:01:32 -0700

I've never really found one thing that works for all of my contracts, but I
do routinely create templates for the common types of documents at each of
my jobs. Occasionally, when I have the time, I will make a template that is
accompanied by a set of instructions prepared with the template. Sort of
like, "*Introduction* Use the introduction to describe the purpose of
process and introduce it with, 'The purpose of this process is to...'."

I also provide guidelines for how to get information that is required for
the different sections of the template and I discuss what information the
sections should and should not contain. I rarely have enough time to
produce writing instructions because my jobs are short, but the template is
something that I need to produce my work and it helps the people that I work
with, so I leave the template as a project deliverable.

It is also a good idea to provide writing guidelines, like a mini-style
guide, of issues that are particularly annoying and should be avoided but
pop up anyway. It's best if the guideline is one page and can be tacked to
a wall for reference. Include methods that cover handling of issues like
writing in all caps, references to people rather than job titles, and
failure to provide full access to information. I once had a job where the
command was to "double-click the application icon." Well, I didn't have
this icon. It was apparently a link to some sort of mainframe database.

"Oh. I'll email it to you."
"The link you sent didn't work."
"I guess you don't have access."
"So how can I write the document?"
"Use my computer after I leave."

I still felt like I was missing key information, but SMEs will make
assumptions about the audience that need to be addressed in the document, so
thorough information is essential.

People have asked me if they should write something up for me. The hassle
of fixing another person's work, especially when that person does not want
to write, is more of a problem then getting the information myself from
shadowing people, conducting interviews, and following the processes myself.
These days I prefer that there be nothing to work with, rather than have
somebody that doesn't write, try to write.

Lauren