Re: PM Woe

Subject: Re: PM Woe
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:15:33 -0700

Given the situation you described previously (an out-of-control
process butting heads with a PMO trying to assume total personal
control), I think the approach you followed previously still sounds
like the most operable one. Send the PMs and PMO 50 emails
a day with requests to talk to 30 different SMEs, start a new
document, submit a document for review, release, etc. Be sure
each one says "per our current process, further work on this
project cannot continue without the requested approval." Don't
view the time spent on these emails as "lost project time." If
your group charges hours to projects, create a time tracking
category for "obtain PM/PMO approval" and charge for time
spent doing it. If you schedule your projects on GANTT or
similar charts and it takes a day to get those approvals, pepper
every chart with dozens of one-day "PM/PMO approval" tasks
during which project progress stands still. Give the PMO
everything he wants and follow his process to the letter. Bury
him under the weight of his own requirements. Or, if by some
inexplicable turn of events the PMO's approach actually does
bring order to the existing chaos, make your group the one he
holds up to the rest of the company as a shining example.

Gene Kim-Eng