Re: Asking the right questions

Subject: Re: Asking the right questions
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:28:24 -0700 (PDT)

You are right about questions being precieved as not having done enough homework. Conversly, too many important questions remain unasked.

A TW needs to develop an image of being one who asks essential questions, and minimizes unnecessary questions. I find that the best way to develop this reputation is to create models of a system and walk them through with the SME's.

By walking through functional models with SME's, I clearly demonstrate that I am thinking systematically and that my questions are well thought out.

Richard Lewis

Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au> wrote:
This is a follow-up to the "coming predominance of user experience" thread.

I can see what both John and Richard is getting at, but I think it's not
so much how many questions you ask, it's whether they're the right
questions. You get some leeway on asking questions that seem pertinent;
very little leeway on questions that seem lazy or irrelevant.

Imagine you have a sort of budget to spend on questions. If you ask a
question and the developer or SME thinks:

- Yes, I can see how that would be confusing
- I knew we should have put something about that in the spec
- You know, I didn't think of that situation

... then that sort of question costs you $5. If the interviewee thinks:

- I've already explained that to this guy twice
- It's right there in the spec
- Has he not even tried actually installing the software?

... that sort of question costs $100.

Get a reputation as someone who does the work beforehand to make sure
that, if you ask a question, it's a good one.

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tech44writer%40yahoo.com

Got a little couch potato?

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList