Re: How do freelance technical writers deal with the thorny issue of payment?

Subject: Re: How do freelance technical writers deal with the thorny issue of payment?
From: Writers Book Mall <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>
To: Pippa Cohen <cohenpippa -at- googlemail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:43:53 -0700 (PDT)

A book written some years ago by Peter Kent ("Making
Money in Technical Writing") describes the difference
between contracting and consulting (at least in the
US). Contract writers here typically bill by the hour,
and contracts can last over a year.

Consultants - and this is how he says you can make
bigger money, once you know how fast you can work -
define the deliverables with the client up front (e.g.
write a manual for a specific product) for a fixed
price with payments by milestone.

Whether market conditions are different for you in the
UK, I can't say.

Good luck as you start your new business!

Finally, a web host who will help you build and run a site: The Hosting Team - http://www.thehostingteam.com
Books for writers at http://www.writersbookmall.com
Tech writing jobs at http://www.techwritingjobs.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList