Free download of StarOffice from Google

Subject: Free download of StarOffice from Google
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: austechwriter -at- freelists -dot- org, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, WAustechwriters -at- yahoogroups -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:00:50 +0800

You can now get StarOffice (not OpenOffice) for free from Google:

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html?hl=en&gl=us

I thought StarO was much the same as OpenO except that the fee included
help desk support and some additional templates, but according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staroffice there are a few more differences
such as a macro recorder, extra fonts, and clip art.

StarOffice is supported on fewer OSes (e.g. not Mac) and fewer languages
though. I don't know if there are any other gotchas.

My main objection to OO (and I assume it's the same for SO) is that you
have to download the whole thing whenever there's an upgrade. OTOH I'm
mainly interested in the word processor so unless there's some
significant enhancement to the Writer component (or some dire security
hole is unearthed) I generally skip the interim updates.

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList