DITA/XMetal question

Subject: DITA/XMetal question
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:03:04 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Greetings, listers. I've been off-list for a while (and have not been able to make heads or tails of the newly bloggish site???) so I apologize if this has been a recent topic of discussion.

My group has a project coming up that's going to require using DITA. We don't use it ourselves, but we're rebranding doc from a company that does (joy), and are looking for the most painless path. I've tentatively identified XMetal as the product with the best integration, but if anyone has a better tool suggestion I'd love to hear it.

For those who are familiar with XMetal... where the heck are the formatting files? Their online help and sample project have been of no use whatsoever to me in figuring out what I have to do to change the look of the output. I need to scope out how much work it's going to be for us to change the look n' feel of the other doc set to be more like ours, but I can't even get started right now because I have no idea what I'm supposed to look at.

I'm on digest, so off-list replies would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
508-725-0937