RE: What do you call your examples?

Subject: RE: What do you call your examples?
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Sarah Bouchier'" <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:20:22 -0700

Personally, I try to avoid using names in documentation and I refer to
roles. For example, in an illustration of a system administrator performing
a process I say, "system administrator performs <process>" or "performing
<process>," whichever works best. In cases, where a descriptive name or
company is required, I use something descriptive, like "the computer
operator" or "corporation." But in graphics that require a pronoun, I try
to come up with something explanatory that is not easily confused with a
real person.

Examples of names follow. For first and last name I have used, "New" and
"User" for first and last names, respectively. But I have a few ideas when
one choice for a name will not do, like "Andy User," "Indy Vidual," "Ima
Person," and "Big Cheese." Of course, that last one is probably for an
executive. Naturally, the company name could be "Example, Inc." for the
convenience of using "example.com" as discussed in other posts.

Lauren