Transitioning to Writing Software Docs

Subject: Transitioning to Writing Software Docs
From: mxp <indeauto -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 11:15:41 -0400

Hi,

I'm a freelance proposal writer looking to transition into writing software
documentation manuals and education-related materials. (I've got a
background in adult education and I'd like to find a way to use this, as
well.) I've got about 3 years of experience writing professionally. I've
also written instruction manuals, policies and procedures, annual reports,
and literature reviews.

I'd love to get a full-time contract and I'm willing to relocate anywhere in
the country to do so (assuming, of course, the job goes for at least a few
months).

I've been reading some good resources:
Bremer's The User Manual
Pringle's Tech Writing 101
Kent's Technical Writers Freelancing Guide

>From everything I've read, it's my understanding that the easiest way to get
work is to start out contracting through agencies. What I'd like to know is

1. Is this true?
-- If so, is it acceptable to just call a few agencies and talk to their
recruiters, letting 'em know my skills and what I'm looking to do?
-- anybody know where i can find a list of agencies for the New York area?
I've been compiling my own, but if someone has already done the work. . . .
:)

2. Are there other good ways to break in?

3. Other suggestions from experienced technical writers.

Thanks, in advance.

Mark

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList