RE: Using different versions of FrameMaker in the same team

Subject: RE: Using different versions of FrameMaker in the same team
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: ptechwriter -at- gmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:05:59 -0400

Working with mixed versions is always something of a PITA, but
it's at least a little worse when the minority are using the older
version because then the majority has to remember to always
do something special (using Save As and selecting the older file
format rather than simply using Save) to accommodate the minority.

Having said that, a mix of 6.0 and 7.x should have very few
capability mismatches because most of the changes and new
features in 7.x related to structured mode if I recall correctly.
A mix of 7.x and 8.0 has the *potential* to have more feature
mismatches due to the several significant new features (change
tracking, expanded conditional text capabilities, Unicode support),
but these won't actually cause any problems until you start
using them in your docs.

So short term it should be OK to use mixed versions, but long
term you should try to get yourselves back in synch on *some*
version.

-Fred Ridder

>From: "Paraic O'Raghallaigh" <ptechwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
>To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>Subject: Using different versions of FrameMaker in the same team
>Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:10:39 +0100
>
>Hi,
>
>I will be joining a team in which I will be working on the same documents
>with two other writers, both of whom are using Frame 7. Ideally we would
>all
>be using the same version of Frame, but we only have an additional Frame 6
>licence at present. I
>
>What are the list members experiences with using different versions of
>FrameMaker on the same docs, it seems that the most economical option in
>the
>short term is for me to upgrade to FrameMaker 8 but will this cause issues?
>
>In short,
>
>1. Should I use Frame 6?
>2. Should I upgrade to Frame 8
>3. Should I only work on these docs with Frame 7?
>
>Best regards,
>
>P.

Share your special parenting moments!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList