Re: 'Step Up to Leader' Post > Tangential Question

Subject: Re: 'Step Up to Leader' Post > Tangential Question
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:59:41 -0600

On Wednesday, September 12, 2007, Sandy Harris wrote:

> How do you know? I sometimes ignore requests I think are dumb. Would you
> see that as me deliberately trying to be defiant?

First off, I don't think you should ignore a request. Professional
courtesy would suggest that you offer an explanation to the person
who made the request. That goes back to Stuart's comment about
"playing nicely with the other kids".

If it is a workflow issue (not a priority issue but how you are actually
getting your work done) it would be prudent to discuss with your
manager why "your way" will work better. If you have a good
argument, most managers will be reasonable.

If it is a priority issue or a business decision, even though you might
think the request is "dumb", it would be in your best interest to try to
honor the request. You can offer your opinion on why you think it
might be a wrong move. However, management typically has more
information than those in the ranks, and the mandate may come
from higher up than your manager (even the CEO has to answer to
the shareholders & board). Just because you think something is
"dumb" does not mean it has not been carefully thought out and
considered the best course of action. If you don't follow
management's direction, then yes, you are being defiant.

If you are a captive employee, when all's said and done there's
someone signing paychecks who calls the shots. If you don't agree
with how things are being done and you are not willing to bend in
your ways, then it would likely be best for all parties if you moved on.

2 cents,

Dana

Dana Worley
Software Product Manager/Manager, Software Support Group
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
815 W 1800 N
Logan, UT 84321-1784
435-750-1751