New Hire Orientation

Subject: New Hire Orientation
From: "Jim Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 06:11:25 -0700

Our Tech Pubs department hired a new tech writer last Friday and I'm trying
to assemble an orientation that will do more than just keep that person
occupied until we can obtain a computer, network ID, password, etc. For
that matter, I also need to develop departmental policies and procedures,
but that may need a separate thread.

When I started with my current employer they didn't have an orientation
program and I spent 10 days reading documents that were either obsolete or
not relevant to what I would be working on later, and reading the company
website.

One of the problems that we're facing, as a department, is that our workload
prevents any one of us from sitting with the new hire and covering what we
do and how we do it.

At this point I'm leaning towards having the new hire shadow us (other tech
writers) at meetings. This would provide a real-world example of our
project. Beyond that I'm just sort of winging it. I know that it would be
nice to take this person out to lunch so that we can all get to know each
other and take a midday break. Any other suggestions?

- Jim

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList