RE: What is the best term to use?

Subject: RE: What is the best term to use?
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Jan Cohen'" <najnehoc -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "'Janice Gelb'" <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 22:03:57 -0700

I think the main issue here is that there is a *thing* in web applications
that does not have an effective name. A "tab" is too constricting and an
"applet" may be too broad. Neither is perfect. If it comes down to
weighing which term is more or less perfect, then which term has more weight
in describing the *thing*. Near as I can tell, "widget" is taken. How
about "tabular application interface"? A bit wordy, but it captures the
functionality.

"Tab" works well for components of applications. "Applet" works well for
short applications and applications within larger applications, like Java
applets within web browsers. But works well for a tabular interface that
has functions beyond that of setting parameters? Do we need a new word?

But anyway, the name of the function may require greater development than
what is provided in the current data dictionary for general application
functionality.

Lauren

_____