RE: Editing Guides

Subject: RE: Editing Guides
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:41:09 -0500

-----Original Message-----
A client told me: "that" and "the" should never follow each other.
Ex: "verify that the service has started."

It may be that "that" is one of my subconscious writing ticks. Without
the "that," i feel that the sentence doesn't flow smoothly and that
"that" sets up the clause "the service has started."
--------------------------------

In English, we tend to drop many parts of speech, especially when
speaking. If you are writing for translation, or writing for an
international audience, then leaving out parts of speech can reduce
clarity for non-native English speakers.

>From http://www.imagiforce.com/translation-tips.htm:

Do Not Leave Out Necessary Words
----------------------------------
The English language allows us clearly convey our intentions
even when
we omit certain words, such as relative pronouns (who, whom,
that, which),
prepositions, and parts of verbs. In other languages these words
are
required and must be included in documents that will be
translated.

Use Articles Whenever Possible.
----------------------------------
An article is a word used to indicate a noun and to state its
purpose.
For example, in English, the definite article is 'the' and the
'indefinite
articles are 'a' and 'an'. Use of articles reduces ambiguities
and gives
you better translation results.

-Carla

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList