Re: Re-upping STC membership?

Subject: Re: Re-upping STC membership?
From: "Lorraine Kiewiet" <lkiewiet -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:19:00 -0800

Well, gee, I don't get any publicity (nor do I want it, except the positive
word of mouth I get from my colleagues in STC). I hope I'm not egotistical.
One thing I've seen is that a couple of co-workers I've had who were too
"cheap" to join STC were rather clueless about current trends. A look at
some of their electronic files revealed that they had been created by
others! (Properties anyone?)

When technical writing shifted more heavily to Help for Windows (mid-90s),
STC was a bit lagging. So I attended WinWriters (now WritersUA). But as a
result, my STC chapter asked me to give a presentation on converting from
print to Help. So in a sense, I was the support. So what's wrong with that?
(is that altruistic?)

I guess there are always those who are suspicious of the people who do the
volunteering at church, school, civic org, etc., thinking they are doing it
for fame. We just like to help!

Lorraine Kiewiet
Proud mother of a St. Francis High School Grad, 2007
Proud Mom of a Cal State East Bay (Hayward) Pioneer, 2011

>That would be great. But my impression is that
in any profession-- not just technical writing--
many of the best practitioners shrug off
the professional organization because
personally they can do fine without it. I think
that professional organizations are driven mostly
by the work of the professionals who feel they
need the organization's support. Look at someone
who makes it to the top professionally but
still sticks around in the organization, and--
pardon the overgeneralization-- you'll find someone
unusually altruistic, unusually egotistical, or
in a position to benefit from publicity. Maybe
all three at once.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList