Document Naming Conventions

Subject: Document Naming Conventions
From: "Caroline Anne Richardson" <richardson -dot- caroline -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:20:35 -0500

Ok Folks... Got another question for you. Thanks for all the MS Word help, I
have conquered the Styles beast... for now....

My question centres around naming conventions. I am in the process of
setting up a repository for an entire department's process, procedure, and
internal user guide documentation. One thing I have noticed is that there is
not yet a true naming convention for all these documents that must be
cataloged and organized.

I have an idea of how I want to organize this myriad of documents, however,
I wanted to pick the brains of others who have tackled such and ask. Is
there an ISO standard, or perhaps a common Tech Comm methodology that I
could glean useful ideas from? I've never been the "librarian" end of things
for a doc set, so this is new territory for me.

I need to ensure the following is identified in the document name:

- Department (or sub department) name
- Type of document
- Name of document (purpose or procedure description)
- Date (if this is a date sensitive document, not necessary if version
number is used in name)
- Version

I would rather keep things simple and easy, so naming something "How to load
driver X.doc" would be preferable to "IT_proc_101-123_v1_D-2.doc". I want
to aslo make it easy for my co-workers to adhere to without having to
reference the doc that explains how to name your files each time. Simply
put, if they have to do that, they won't name them properly when they
upload.

So, any thoughts, ideas, or opinions on the matter? I know its a small
problem to address to a huge list, but I figured I should start somewhere,
and Wikipedia is not really being helpful... *grin*

Thanks and cheers!

~Caroline A. Richardson

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList