RE: STC Salary data collection

Subject: RE: STC Salary data collection
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:42:10 -0600

I agree with your first sentence, Dan, and don't necessarily disagree
with the rest. However, for additional perspective, see this article on
the excellent "Ask the Headhunter" web site:
http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/hasalary.htm, in particular this
excerpt:

"Salary surveys can hurt employers.
Now, some may argue that a company must know what other companies are
spending for a given constellation of skills, if the company is to be
competitive.

Hogwash. The use of human resources salary surveys can actually hamper a
company's efforts to be competitive because these surveys drive job
offers toward the mean. If you want to hire the best - and doesn't every
company? - by definition you're seeking the tail of the curve, or to be
off the curve. You don't want to hire - or pay for - average workers.

The recent controversy over the "I.T. worker shortage" proves the point.
The information technology industry publication Computerworld recently
reported that IT managers in some companies snatched the hiring process
from their HR departments when they realized good candidates were being
lost because HR was basing job offers on "industry standard pay scales."
These scales - which are descriptive of past trends rather than of any
job candidate's value - were serving as a poor substitute for sound
judgment of the worth of a good job candidate in a competitive market."

Jim