Re: Change Control for Documentation

Subject: Re: Change Control for Documentation
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Beth Agnew" <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:41:19 -0500

Most of the best companies I've worked with use the
same change order system that applies to any other
part. Proposed changes are documented in an ECO
(Engineering Change Order) that describes the change,
why it is needed and what the priority is. The ECO
is evaluated, and if the proposed change does not drive
an immediate revision it is put into the release system
as "defer to next revision" change. Any attempt to
release a new revision that does not reference the
ECO will result in a flag in the release system that
has to be resolved, either by making the change or
deferring it again. The companies I've worked with
that treated documentation differently from "real
product" have all turned out to be bad experiences.

Gene Kim-Eng