Re: How do you differentiate yourself (UserFriendly)

Subject: Re: How do you differentiate yourself (UserFriendly)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:33:19 -0800

I can't really say that I do much resume tailoring. I have
some variations on my full resume that bring specific
areas of experience into greater prominence and select
from these the one I think a potential employer or client
may find most relevant, but I can't recall the last time I
revised a resume specifically for one recipient. My
resume "tailoring" really happens in my selection of
who I give it to. The cover letter is, of course, very
specifically tailored.

I don't use online sites for samples. All my soft-copy
samples are either emailed or handed over in-person
on CD. My soft-copy samples are all either documents
that are not sensitive because can be downloaded from
compant websites, or highly scrubbed excerpts that
contain covers, TOCs and snips from chapters with
sensitive or proprietary information deleted and a
note to the effect that my arrangements with the doc
owner is that I will provide the full printed version
for in-person inspection but not redistribute copies
of it.

As for thank-you's, I still consider them jobhunting
101, but it's amazing how seldom I get them. I fear
the "throw out the old, tired ways" thinking of the
dot-com era has resulted in an entire generation of
people who have no idea how to look for a job.

Gene Kim-Eng