RE: musicians among us

Subject: RE: musicians among us
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:28:39 -0800

> From: Ladonna Weeks

> I've also "heard" that about the relationship between music and
> math/computer skills but I don't know where it came from. Do
> you know? Is it
> documented or simply someone's observation. Just curious.

Brain-wise, both math and music require using both hemispheres of the brain.
In my limited understanding of how the brain works, the right brain handles
the abstract ideas of numbers as symbols, since there are no numbers in
nature, and abstract conceptions of music. The left brain handles the logic
of numbers in calculations and the logic in musical scales and harmony,
which is comprised of several tones working in concert, making music
together, or flowing harmoniously, however you want to state structure of
music. I think that learning and understanding music can improve math
abilities because one can passively learn music through listening and
gradually approach the dual-hemisphere learning that is required for both
math and music.

Music and math-wise, we have the work of Pythagoras, or at least what is
credited to Pythagoras, to explain the connections between math and music.
He was a philosopher (mystic, rather) and mathematician who came up with
some math formulas and theories, like the square of the hypotenuse is equal
to the sum of the squares of both sides. He also figured out the numerical
intervals between the tones of musical scale.

Math and music apparently have a long history together.

Here's a discussion of math, music, and Pythagoras,
http://members.cox.net/mathmistakes/music.htm.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList