Re: new laptop

Subject: Re: new laptop
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Amy Sennesh Vastola" <asv -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:10:41 -0800

Unlike desktops, where there is a world of exotic equipment designed to interface with PCs that won't run worth a darn on the Apple
OS or even on some PCs with proprietary motherboards and you're better off with a unit that sticks to the nonproprietary standard
for technical work, when it comes to laptops just about everything is proprietary except for RAM and HD, and since Apple laptops are
now based on Intel processors there's really no difference between one of them and a Dell except for their designs. Emulation will
work reasonably well for most common software, but if you think your work will require you to run anything that is truly
resource-intensive, such as some data acquisition and processing or instrument control programs, you may want to use Apple's Boot
Camp program to create a separate Windows partition so you can load and run Windows at full native speed. But keep in mind that
with either approach you will really not be "escaping from Windows," just getting a break from it when it isn't needed for work.
Personally, my choice would be to make my selections from somewhere other than top of the line and use the money to get one of each,
because when you're contracting there are some occaisions when having two computers you can use at the same time can be mighty
useful.

Gene Kim-Eng