RE: Combining numbered and bulleted lists in Word

Subject: RE: Combining numbered and bulleted lists in Word
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Chesler, Lynn" <lchesler -at- auspicecorp -dot- com>, "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:11:26 -0500

I guess I need an attitude adjustment.
Given how much of our documentation is still in Word (inherited from an
acquired company) I should really be taking a friendlier approach to
Word.
A few years ago, I would have (even coming from WorPerfect and then
years of FrameMaker, as I did). But instead of searching out ways to get
around the (as I see 'em) faults of Word, I've apparently been looking
for ways to get around the entire program. I've been making occasional
use of OpenOffice over the past couple or three years, and I can't help
comparing Word with OOo. When I've had occasion to create a document
from scratch in OOo, that includes, say, numbered lists, even nested
ones, I just apply styles and ... omigod... they work. And they keep
working. And they don't break. I've never given up in despair and
"Maggied" an OOo document. I've even used OOo Writer to salvage a
couple of dog's-breakfast, inherited Word docs.
Certainly even OOo is not perfect, and their documentation is a
testament to that, but given my preference for using styles for
everything and given the price differential (100% or infinite depending
on perspective) I really can't help but despise a lot about Word. After
all, as I pointed out in a previous post, this _IS_ effectively version
umpty-twelve of Word. Shouldn't it work better by now, at least on
features it's nominally supported since a previous century?

</rant>

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList